MDL's Fanbeam® system is a laser based positioning sensor designed for repetitive, high accuracy range and bearing measurements from offshore support vessels and other marine structures.
The system is primarily used as a dynamic positioning (DP) reference sensor measuring the position of an offshore support vessel (OSV) relative to an offshore structure such as a platform. Using the position data from the Fanbeam and other sensors, the DP system automatically holds the vessel on station allowing operations to take place. The system is regularly used as the primary position reference during critical short-range operations such as cargo container lifts from platform supply vessels.
The system has also been extensively used for seismic source positioning relative to geophysical exploration vessels and for positioning mine detection equipment relative to navy vessels.
- Performs excellently during short or long range operations
- Achieves high accuracies consistently
- Utilises inexpensive intrinsically safe targets
- Rugged design
- State of the art technology
- Long product life
- All weather operation
- Valuable alternative or complementary to DGPS
- Excellent standalone or backup system