The Nortek Acoustic Waves and Currents (AWAC) sensor is a current profiler and real-time directional wave system in one unit. Thousands are in operation worldwide since the launch of the first generation unit over a decade ago. The instrument has since revolutionized subsurface wave measurements. The AWAC is well suited for both autonomous data collection and as part of a real-time data telemetry system. Subsurface deployment means the instrument is always protected from harsh weather, vandalism, and ship traffic. The small, yet rugged instrument is suitable for multi-year operation in tough environments. Plastic and titanium parts avoid corrosion. The AWAC is available in three transmit frequencies for operational ranges spanning 2m to 100m.
- Measures both current profiles as well as directional waves
- The most trusted acoustic directional wave system in the world
- Able to measure and process directional waves in real-time
- Can be installed on the bottom or on a sub-surface buoy with patented SUV technology
- Uses advanced Acoustic Surface Tracking (AST) for wave height measurement
- Capable of detecting the interface between water and ice